The time has arrived. We begin our new Legislative Session next Tuesday and we have a lot of work to do. I will list a few of the most pressing issues that the General Assembly will address this year.
- Infrastructure: There has been an Ad Hoc Committee working during the off season trying to develop a solution to our crumbling roads and bridges. We anticipate hearing recommendations from this committee when we return to Columbia.
- Criminal Domestic Violence: This is an Ad Hoc Committee on which I served during the off season. I have kept you informed, via mail, on the proceedings up to now. The full committee will be meeting next Thursday to formulate our recommendations to the Judiciary Committee.
- Ethics: The Ad Hoc Ethics Committee, on which I also served, has pre-filed 18 pieces of legislation to reform our current ethics rules and statutes. As with all recommendations and pre-filed bills, they must go through the committee process before being brought to the full House.
- Annual Budget: As always, the budget process takes up a lot of time—this year will be no different. We are mandated, by constitution, to have a balanced budget. Healthcare and education will consume the largest portion of the funds allocated.
Speaker Lucas has appointed me to serve on the following committees:
- Judiciary (Criminal Laws Subcommittee)
- Legislative Oversight Committee
I have also been reappointed as the Chief Majority Whip for 2015-2016.
I look forward to serving in these important positions to further our conservative values, to work for a greater education system, to grow jobs and protect our citizens.